http://www.idref.fr/083906851

Institut français
d’archéologie orientale - Le Caire

Abou Rawach


flèche chronologique de -3350 à -2920 et de -2500 à -2400 env.
 Plan topo. général d’Abou Rawach.
Plan topo. général d’Abou Rawach.

Nom du site: Abou Rawach أبو رواش

Nom ancien: sḥḏw-rʿ-ḏd.f, «Le firmament de Rêdjedef»

Autorité matière SUDOC : http://www.idref.fr/083906851

Responsables:





À 8 km au nord-ouest du plateau de Gîza, la région d’Abou Rawach regroupe des vestiges archéologiques de différentes périodes échelonnées de la protohistoire à l’époque copte. Il s’agit presque exclusivement de structures funéraires couvrant toutes les phases de la période pharaonique, et de lieux de culte pour les époques les plus récentes. L’emplacement du site, dans l’antique nécropole royale memphite, s’inscrit dans une région dont il importait de sauver la mémoire, car actuellement menacée par l’urbanisation et l’exploitation du calcaire.

Le site a été décrit dès le XIXe siècle par des voyageurs européens tels que H. de Vyse et J.S. Perring. Après les relevés de K. Lepsius sur la pyramide, durant l’hiver 1842-1843, Fl. Petrie fit effectuer un sondage dans le monument funéraire entre 1880 et 1882. l’Ifao y entreprit les premières véritables fouilles archéologiques, en dégageant la face orientale de la pyramide de 1901 à 1902, à l’initiative de son directeur, É. Chassinat. La découverte de fragments de statues en quartzite, inscrits pour certains d’entre eux, permit d’attribuer le monument à Rêdjedef, fils de Khéops et troisième souverain de la IVe dynastie (vers 2580 av. J.-C.). Les recherches reprirent sur la pyramide entre 1912 et 1913 sous la direction de P. Lacau. Celui-ci s’intéressa également aux environs du monument. Dès 1913, il confia à P. Montet la fouille d’un petit cimetière archaïque à l’ouest de la pyramide, dénommé M d’après l’initiale du nom de son premier fouilleur, Pierre Montet; en 1922, il octroya à F. Bisson de la Roque la charge d’étudier la nécropole voisine de l’Ancien Empire. Les travaux sur le cimetière M et les nécropoles thinites situées au pied de la colline furent poursuivis de 1957 à 1959 par une équipe du musée de Leyde dirigée par A. Klasens.

Les fouilles ont repris depuis le milieu des années 1990 sur le complexe funéraire du pharaon de la IVe dynastie Rêdjedef dans le cadre d’un projet conjoint Ifao/univ. de Genève, puis se sont également portées au nord-est de la pyramide, sur le cimetière d’élite qui en dépend jusqu'en 2007. Depuis cette date, les investigations ont repris sur le cimetière protodynastique “M”.

La Nécropole protodynastique “M” d’Abou Rawach (Yann Tristant)

Collaborations: Sylvie Marchand (céramologue, IFAO); Yann Ardagna (anthropologue, Univ.de la Méditerranée); Aurélie Cuénod (ceramologue); Julie Delmotte (archéologue); Yannick Prouin (archéologue); Aurélie Schenk (archéologue, Musée romain d’Avenches); Jane Smythe (céramologue, ARCE).

Institution partenaire:

Dates des campagnes de fouilles: juin-juillet.

Historique des fouilles

Le cimetière M de la Ière dynastie vu depuis le cimetière “F”, vers le sud-est. Mai 2007 (cl. Y. Tristant).
Le cimetière M de la Ière dynastie vu depuis le cimetière “F”, vers le sud-est. Mai 2007 (cl. Y. Tristant).

La nécropole “M” est située sur un petit éperon rocheux qui domine la plaine nord-ouest du site d’Abou Rawach d’une hauteur de 25 m. Elle a livré 25 tombes en briques crues datées de la phase Nagada IIIC2 (milieu de la Ière dynastie). La découverte de ce cimetière a été un événement dans l’histoire de la recherche protodynastique: un quart de siècle avant la fouille de la nécropole de Saqqâra, c’était la première fois qu’on trouvait en Basse-Égypte des tombes similaires à celles identifiées auparavant à Abydos. Trop souvent et injustement oubliée, cette nécropole d’élite constitue un jalon important dans le développement de la civilisation pharaonique.

Le réexamen entrepris sur place apporte des informations précieuses pour l’étude de l’architecture funéraire de la Ière dynastie. La comparaison avec les données issues des fouilles récentes des cimetières contemporains du delta oriental et de la région memphite est d’ores et déjà d’une grande importance pour la compréhension des dynamiques culturelles des communautés thinites et l’intégration de la Basse-Égypte dans la sphère du pouvoir royal naissant. Il s’agit enfin d’associer l’étude du matériel ancien avec la reprise des fouilles des tombes thinites.



Le mastaba M12 de la Ière dynastie. Mai 2007 (cl. Y. Tristant).
Le mastaba M12 de la Ière dynastie. Mai 2007 (cl. Y. Tristant).
Le mastaba M12 de la Ière dynastie et son entrée (à droite) (cl. Y. Tristant).
Le mastaba M12 de la Ière dynastie et son entrée (à droite) (cl. Y. Tristant).

Liens

Complexe funéraire du pharaon Rêdjedef (Michel Valloggia)

Collaborations: Sylvie Marchand (céramologue, IFAO), José Bernal (univ. de Lausanne), A. Moser, E. Soutter (Archeodunum S.A.).

Institutions partenaires:

Dates des campagnes de fouilles: fouilles terminées en 2007.

Depuis près d’un demi-siècle, l’étude des complexes funéraires des souverains de l’Ancien Empire a constamment été étoffée par des découvertes nouvelles et par la reprise d’investigations archéologiques sur d’anciennes concessions. Curieusement, l’emplacement d’Abou Rawach, situé à 25 km au nord-ouest du Caire, est demeuré à l’écart d’enquêtes systématiques depuis les brefs travaux que E. Chassinat lui avait consacrés en 1900-1901. Cet oubli est d’autant plus surprenant que le site renferme tous les éléments constitutifs des grands tombeaux royaux de la IVe dynastie: un temple d’accueil, une chaussée montante et une enceinte bâtie autour d’aménagements monumentaux.

Les dimensions de cette entreprise ont engagé l’unité d’égyptologie de l’université de Genève à unir ses efforts avec l’Ifao pour reprendre des fouilles sur une concession qui avait autrefois livré les prémices d’une information historique importante. Le financement de cette mission a été assuré grâce au soutien du Fonds national suisse de la Recherche scientifique.

Bilan des treize campagnes de fouilles

Vue en contreplongée de la descenderie de la pyramide de Rêdjedef.
Vue en contreplongée de la descenderie de la pyramide de Rêdjedef.

L’enquête conduite sur ce site visait à une réévaluation du règne de Rêdjedef. En effet, si les témoignages historiques ont entraîné, dans le passé, des théories mal assurées, on observe aujourd’hui que les travaux effectués sur place appellent une révision du dossier de cette pyramide «inachevée» de la IVe dynastie. La démolition du monument, exploité comme carrière, a été plus intense qu’on ne l’avait supposé. En outre, si l’on considère que ces destructions apparentent leurs vestiges à ceux d’un chantier en activité, il devient loisible d’examiner quelques-uns des procédés de construction mis en œuvre dans cette réalisation. À Abou Rawach, le vraisemblable achèvement de la pyramide royale a donc entraîné la recherche des autres composantes de ce complexe funéraire royal.

Proche, par ses dimensions, de la pyramide de Mykérinos à Gîza, le «Firmament de Rêdjedef» mesurait environ 106 m de côté pour une hauteur de 67 m. Sur la pyramide, l’établissement d’une coupe longitudinale a mis en lumière l’importance du noyau central, dont la masse de l’inselberg représentait 44 % de la superstructure. Le rocher in situ ne conserve donc que le volume du noyau pyramidal et le rappel symbolique de la butte héliopolitaine, de laquelle est issu le soleil au matin du premier jour.

Dans son économie intérieure, la pyramide a conservé son aménagement en T, incluant une descenderie et un puits central, destiné à contenir le caveau royal. Ces infrastructures, complètement obstruées par des amoncellements de blocs et gravats, furent progressivement dégagées, grâce à l’intervention de grues mobiles.

Au centre de la pyramide, le puits n’a gardé que quelques traces de la chambre sépulcrale. Cette substructure, accessible depuis la descenderie, fut systématiquement démolie à l’époque romaine, lors de l’exploitation du site.

Autour de la pyramide deux murs d’enceinte ont été édifiés, dotés de neuf portes monumentales. De plus, cinq structures interdépendantes sont liées au temple funéraire. À partir de l’accès oriental, deux travées d’habitats et un alignement de magasins entouraient une cour. Au sud-ouest, un cheminement s’ouvrait sur un édifice qui incorporait dans son sous-sol une cavité naviforme. Il a été observé que l’embarcation qui s’y trouvait était semblable à celle de Khéops, découverte en 1954 et exposée actuellement à Gîza. À l’ouest, une entrée s’ouvrait sur une cour dallée à portiques, conduisant à une salle hypostyle et des chapelles qui livrèrent autrefois des statues de la famille du roi. Au sud de cet espace, s’élevait la chapelle du culte royal.

Vue sur le temple funéraire à l’est de la pyramide de Rêdjedef et sur les restaurations effectuées.
Vue sur le temple funéraire à l’est de la pyramide de Rêdjedef et sur les restaurations effectuées.

Enfin, une pyramide satellite a été édifiée à l’intérieur de l’enceinte du tétraèdre. Il s’agit, en l’occurrence, d’une petite pyramide de 10,50 m de côté, construite vers l’angle sud-est de celle du souverain. L’édifice fut remployé pour l’enterrement d’une reine, qui fut probablement une fille de Khéops et l’épouse de Rêdjedef. L’infrastructure du tombeau avait été pillée dans l’Antiquité (vraisemblablement à l’époque romaine, d’après la céramique découverte); néanmoins, une partie du mobilier funéraire était demeurée in situ. Au voisinage d’un sarcophage féminin de calcaire fin et des canopes de calcite, plusieurs éléments du trousseau funéraire furent retrouvés. Parmi ceux-ci figuraient les fragments de calcite d’un grand vase, aujourd’hui restauré. Cette coupe, à fond arrondi et bord ourlé, a conservé, sur sa face intérieure, une ligne d’hiéroglyphes finement incisés, nommant l’Horus Medjedou, suivi du cartouche de Khoufou (Khéops).

Quant à l’édifice lui-même, il paraît traduire l’évolution d’un projet conçu comme pyramide cultuelle et ultérieurement transformée en tombe de reine.

Reconstitution infographique du complexe funéraire de Rêdjedef.
Reconstitution infographique du complexe funéraire de Rêdjedef.

En 2007, une ultime campagne de travail sur le site a permis, d’une part, de compléter les investigations consacrées au repérage de l’enceinte extérieure orientale du complexe funéraire et, d’autre part, à achever la reconstruction partielle d’habitats, localisés dans l’espace oriental des installations cultuelles. Enfin, cette mission devait également procéder à la finalisation du dossier graphique des relevés archéologiques, utiles à l’élaboration de la publication de ces travaux.

Au terme de ces campagnes, une réévaluation historique suggère que la royauté du fils aîné de Khéops, autrefois considéré comme un renégat, dura au minimum 22-23 ans. Cette longévité a non seulement permis à ce souverain de compléter le dispositif funéraire de son prédécesseur à Gîza, mais lui a aussi laissé le temps d’achever l’édification de sa propre pyramide à Abou Rawach. Ces travaux devraient donc contribuer à une révision de l’histoire de cette époque reculée en y adjoignant un volet archéologique méconnu jusqu’ici. Enfin, l’emplacement du site, qui s’inscrit dans une région actuellement menacée par l’urbanisation et l’exploitation du calcaire, appartient à une zone prestigieuse de l’ancienne nécropole royale memphite, dont il convenait de préserver le souvenir.

La nécropole privée “F” de la IVe dynastie (Michel Baud)

Collaborations: Yann Ardagna (anthropologue, UMR 6578, faculté de médecine de Marseille); Olivier Cabon (photographie et multimédia, ThotM, Paris); Alain Charron (spécialiste des momies animales, musée de l’Arles et de la Provence antiques); Eric Guerrier (architecte, Marseille); Salima Ikram (archéozoologue, ARCE); Sylvie Marchand (céramologue, IFAO); Nadine Moeller (céramologue, univ. de Chicago); Aurélie Schenk (archéologue, Lausanne);

Institutions partenaires:

Dates des campagnes de fouilles: Plus de fouilles en cours.

La nécropole «F» d’Abou Rawach est le groupe de tombeaux le plus au nord de l’archipel funéraire memphite de l’Ancien Empire. Cet ensemble d’une quarantaine de mastabas, installé sur une colline de 6 ha qui surplombe la Vallée, a pourtant été longtemps considéré comme un cimetière provincial de la VIe dynastie, associé au 2e nome de Basse-Égypte et sa capitale régionale, Létopolis. L’actuel projet, qui a débuté en 2001 et qui arrive à son terme dans son volet archéologique, démontre au contraire qu’il s’agit de la nécropole d’élite de Rêdjedef, dont la pyramide est établie 1,5 km plus à l’ouest. La datation de la plupart des mastabas testés remonte en effet à la IVe dynastie, tandis que la présence de fils royaux, dont deux au moins sont apparentés à Rêdjedef, prouve que l’élite du règne fut bien enterrée là et non à Gîza. Selon le modèle caractéristique de l’époque, la nécropole se divise en groupes ordonnés de tombeaux (en l’occurrence nord et sud), chacun dominé par un ou plusieurs mastabas de grande taille.

Historique des fouilles

Mastaba F37 vu du sud-ouest (cl. Olivier Cabon).
Mastaba F37 vu du sud-ouest (cl. Olivier Cabon).

C’est Émile Chassinat qui, en parallèle avec les travaux au complexe de Rêdjedef, ouvrit en 1901 la fouille du site; elle se limita au vidage de quelques puits dans la partie sud-ouest du site (nos F47 et F48) et demeura inédite. Pierre Montet opéra des sondages dans le groupe nord en 1913 (F13 et F19), avant de s’intéresser aux tombeaux voisins de la Ière dynastie. C’est ce même groupe nord qui fit l’objet d’une investigation systématique par Fernand Bisson de la Roque entre 1922 et 1924 (tombeaux F1 à F21), dont les résultats furent cette fois publiés, quoique succinctement, dans les FIFAO. Charles Kuentz dégagea quelques mastabas du groupe sud en 1931 (nos F37-39), travaux dont il ne livra rien, mais dont l’Ifao conserve des archives.

La chapelle en “L” de F48 en cours de dégagement (cl. M. Baud).
La chapelle en “L” de F48 en cours de dégagement (cl. M. Baud).

Les travaux de la présente mission ont consisté à établir la première carte archéologique du site, inventorier les tombeaux et étudier en détail cinq d’entre eux (F37, F38, F40, F48 et M9), choisis en raison de leur variété d’emplacement, de dimensions (de 14 à 50 m de long) et de matériau (brique ou pierre; dimension des blocs). Tous datent de la IVe dynastie, à l’exception de l’extension seconde de F38. Ils présentent une structure à deux ou trois murs de retenue (ou accrétions), parement de calcaire fin compris, et des chapelles de dimensions réduites, souvent en « L », contrastant avec la taille des massifs. Le mastaba le plus remarquable par ses dimensions (50 m de long) et sa structure interne dallée qui prolonge les assises du coffrage, F37, commande l’ensemble du groupe sud; il appartenait à un fils royal dont le nom est perdu (archives Kuentz). Intégré à la rangée la plus occidentale de ce groupe, F48 a livré la chapelle décorée, bien que largement détruite, d’un « directeur du personnel en phylé », c’est-à-dire d’un responsable du culte royal. Ce mastaba, point le plus élevé de la nécropole, a connu une seconde vie vers le 4e siècle avant J.-C., lorsque son puits sud abrita des centaines de momies animales, musaraignes pour l’essentiel, qui doivent être en relation avec le culte du faucon aveugle et voyant de Létopolis. Ils ont été découverts sous forme de couches rejetées hors du puits, soit amalgamés à des restes humains, soit séparés d’eux; le nombre de corps humains avoisine la centaine, chiffre considérable pour un simple puits.

Les travaux de terrain vont de pair avec une analyse des archives de fouille, en particulier des plans et photographies des cahiers de fouilles de Kuentz. Un grand nombre de blocs décorés, de vases en pierre et de céramiques des mastabas ont été collectés par les fouilleurs successifs et sont aujourd'hui dispersés dans différentes collections. Grâce aux connaissances acquises sur le terrain, les blocs livrent des informations essentielles sur les propriétaires de tombeaux, certains anonymes jusqu’ici. C’est ainsi que le prince Hornit, connu à la pyramide de Rêdjedef par des socles de statues de scribe, se voit attribuer le grand mastaba F13 fouillé par Bisson, dont la publication se limite à une partie des inscriptions, fragments d’un texte biographique compris.

Perspectives

Cette nécropole royale permet d’étudier l’évolution de l’architecture et de la décoration des tombeaux d’élite à une époque peu documentée jusqu’ici, celle du règne de Rêdjedef, coincée entre les deux géants Khéops et Khéphren. Les critères de datation récoltés sur le site, qui prennent en compte l’ensemble du contexte archéologique (de la céramique à la décoration), permettent d’avancer dans les débats houleux qui concernent la date de nombreux tombeaux de l’Ancien Empire, à Gîza en particulier, où tant de mastabas ont été placés, à tort, à la VIe dynastie. Les analyses menées sur l’architecture des tombeaux livrent en outre des données nouvelles sur leurs principes structurels (coffrage, compartimentage, stratification), qu’il faudrait comparer aux autres nécropoles pour lesquelles ce type d’études fait presque entièrement défaut.

Bibliographie

Fouilles anciennes

  • F. Bisson de la Roque, Rapport sur les fouilles d’Abou-Roasch, 1922-1923, FIFAO 1, 1924.
  • F. Bisson de la Roque, Rapport sur les fouilles d’Abou-Roasch, 1924, FIFAO 2, 1925.
  • É. Chassinat, «Note sur les fouilles d’Abou Roash (1900-1901)», Comptes rendus de l’Académie des Inscriptions et Belles-lettres 1901, p. 616-619.
  • G.R. Joubé, «Catalogue de l’outillage lithique provenant des tombes d’Abou-Roach», Kêmi 7, 1938, p. 71-113.

Nécropole protodynastique “M”

  • M. Baud, «La nécropole d’élite de la Ière dynastie à Abou Rawach: essai cartographique», Archéo-Nil 15, 2005, p. 11-16.
  • Z. Hawass, «Archaic Graves Recently Founded at North Abu Roash», MDAIK 36, 1980, p. 229-244.
  • A. Klasens, «The Excavations of the Leiden Museum of Antiquities at Abu-Roash...», Oudheidkundige Mededelingen vit het Rijksmuseum van Oudheden 38, 1957, p. 58-68; 39, 1958, p. 20-31 ; 39, 1958, p. 32-55.
  • P. Montet, «Tombeaux de la Ire et de la IVe dynasties à Abou-Roach», Kêmi 7, 1938, p. 11-69.
  • P. Montet, «Tombeaux de la Ière et de la IVe dynasties à Abou-Roach, deuxième partie: inventaire des objets», Kêmi 8, 1946, p. 157-227.
  • Y. Tristant, «Un cimetière d’élites de la 1ére dynastie à Abou Rawach», Égypte Afrique & Orient 50, 2008, p. 3-12.
  • Y. Tristant, «Deux grands tombeaux du cimetière M d’Abou Rawach (Ierdynastie)», Archéo-Nil 18, 2008, p. 131-147.
  • Y. Tristant, «Les tombes des premières dynasties à Abou Rawach», BIFAO 108, 2008, p. 325-370.
  • Y. Tristant, «Abou Roach», dans L. Pantalacci, S. Denoix (éd.), «Travaux de l’Institut français d’archéologie orientale 2007-2008», BIFAO 108 (2008), p. 13.
  • Y. Tristant, «Ouadi Araba. Nécropole privée, cimetière «M» (Ire dynastie)», dans L. Pantalacci, S. Denoix (éd.), «Travaux de l’Institut français d’archéologie orientale 2008-2009», BIFAO 109 (2009), p. 537-541.
  • Y. Tristant, «Les cimetières d’Abou Roach», dans B. Midant-Reynes, S. Denoix (éd.), «Travaux de l’Institut français d’archéologie orientale 2009-2010», BIFAO 110 (2010), p. 335-339.
  • Y. Tristant, «Abou Rawach. La nécropole de la Ie dynastie», Archéologia 481, 2010, p. 32-37.
  • Y. Tristant, J. Smythe, «New Excavations for an Old Cemetery. Preliminary Results of the Abu Rawash Project on the M Cemetery (1st Dynasty)», dans R.F. Friedman, P.N. Fiske (ed.), Egypt at its Origins 3. Proceedings of the International Conference "Origin of the State. Predynastic and Early Dynastic Egypt", London, 27th July-1st August 2008, Orientalia Lovaniensia Analecta (Leuven, 2011), 313-322.
  • Tristant, Y., «La région memphite à l’aube de l’époque pharaonique: Abou Rawash», dans B. Midant-Reynes, S. Denoix (éd.), Rapport d’activité de l’IFAO 2011-2012, BIFAO 112 (2012) p. 37-46.

Complexe funéraire de Rêdjedef

Outre les comptes rendus publiés dans le BIFAO dans les «Travaux de l’IFAO» (voir également ici), des rapports préliminaires de chaque campagne ont été publiés dans la Revue Genava, vol. 43 à vol 55 (1995-2007), publiée par le Musée d’Art et d’Histoire de la ville de Genève, à Genève.

  • M. Valloggia, «Les choix architecturaux de la pyramide de Radjedef à Abu Rawash», dans Chr. Ziegler (éd.), L’art de l’Ancien Empire égyptien. Actes du colloque organisé au musée du Louvre les 3 et 4 avril 1998, Paris, 1999, p. 13-33.
  • — —, «Le complexe funéraire de Rêdjédef à Abou Rawash: état des travaux après dix campagnes (1995-2004)», Bulletin de la Société française d’égyptologie 161, 2004, p. 12-27.
  • — —, «Le complexe funéraire de Rêdjedef à Abou Rawash: Bilan et perspectives au terme de dix saisons», dans Actes du IXe congrès des égyptologues, Grenoble, 6-12 septembre 2004, OLA 150, Louvain, 2007, p. 1861-1868.
  • — —, Abou Rawash I. Le complexe funéraire royal de Rêdjedef (texte + planches), FIFAO 63, 2011.

Nécropole “F” (IVe dynastie)

  • M. Baud et al., «Le cimetière F d’Abou Roach, nécropole royale de Rêdjedef (IVe dynastie)», BIFAO 103, 2003, p. 17-71.
  • M. Baud, «Un décor de tombeau remis en contexte: le “scribe au travail” du Louvre (E 14 321) et le mastaba M IX d’Abou Roach», RdE 58, 2007, p. 145-171.
  • M. Baud & N. Moeller, «A Fourth Dynasty Royal Necropolis at Abu Rawash», Egyptian Archaeology 28, 2006, p. 16-18.

Abou Rawach

flèche chronologique de -3350 à -2920 et de -2500 à -2400 env.
 Topographic map of Abu Rawash.
Topographic map of Abu Rawash.

Site name: Abu Rawach أبو رواش

Ancient name: sḥḏw-rʿ-ḏd.f, “Radjedef's Firmament”

SUDOC subject authority record: http://www.idref.fr/083906851

Responsables:





Some eight kilometres north-west of the Giza plateau, the Abu Rawash area holds archaeological remains from different periods stretching from protohistory to the Coptic era. These are almost exclusively funerary structures covering all the phases of the Pharaonic period, and places of worship for the more recent periods. The site is located in the ancient royal Memphite necropolis, a region that requires safeguarding given the present threats posed by urbanisation and limestone quarrying.

The site was described in the 19th century by many European voyagers, including Vyse and Perring. Karl Lepsius surveyed the pyramid during the winter of 1842-1843, and between 1880 and 1882 Flinders Petrie undertook a sounding in the funerary monument. The first true archaeological excavations were undertaken by the IFAO in 1901 to 1902 when, under the initiative of the director Émile Chassinat, the eastern side of the pyramid was cleared. The discovery of fragments of quartzite statuary, some inscribed, led to the attribution of the monument to Radjedef, son of Kheops and third king of the 4th dynasty (c. 2580 BC). The work recommenced between 1912 and 1913 under the supervision of Pierre Lacau, who was also interested in the surroundings of the monument. In 1913, he entrusted the excavation of a small early dynastic cemetery to the west of the pyramid to Pierre Montet, and the site was thereafter known as “M” after the initial its first explorer. In 1922, he appointed Fernand Bisson de la Roque to the study of the neighbouring Old Kingdom necropolis. Work on the cemetery M and the Predynastic cemeteries situated at the foot of the hill was continued from 1957 to 1959 by a team from the Museum of Leiden led by A. Klasens.

From the middle of the 1990s, excavations began again on the funerary complex of the 4th dynasty Pharaoh Radjedef as part of a joint project involving the IFAO and the University of Geneva. Work was also done, until 2007, on the elite cemetery to the north-west of the pyramid. Since that year, investigations have turned again to the Early Dynastic cemetery “M”.

The Early Dynastic cemetery “M” of Abu Rawash (Yann Tristant)

Collaborators: Sylvie Marchand (ceramologist, IFAO); Yann Ardagna (anthropologist, Univ.de la Méditerranée); Aurélie Cuénod (ceramologist); Julie Delmotte (archéologue); Yannick Prouin (archaeologist); Aurélie Schenk (archaeologist, Musée romain d’Avenches); Jane Smythe (ceramologist, ARCE).

Partner institutions:

Campaign dates: June-July.

History of the excavations

Cemetery M, 1st Dynasty seen from cemetery F, to the south-east. May 2007 (photo, Y Tristant).
Cemetery M, 1st Dynasty seen from cemetery F, to the south-east. May 2007 (photo, Y Tristant).

The cemetery M is situated on a small rock outcrop that dominates the north-western plain of the Abu Rawash site from a height of some 25 m. It holds 25 raw brick tombs dating from the Naqada III C2 phase (middle of the 1st dynasty). The discovery of this cemetery was an important event in the history of Early Dynastic research: a quarter of a century before the excavation of the Saqqara necropolis, it was the first time that tombs similar to those hitherto identified at Abydos had been found in Lower Egypt. Too often and unjustly forgotten, this cemetery of a social elite stands as an important milestone in the development of Pharaonic civilisation.

A re-examination undertaken on the site has provided precious information in the study of funerary architecture of the 1st dynasty. The comparison of data from recent excavations on contemporary cemeteries of the eastern Delta and Memphite region is of great and immediate importance for the understanding of the cultural dynamics of the Early Dynastic communities and the integration of Lower Egypt into the sphere of nascent royal power. We need to bring together the study of ancient archaeological material with a resumption of excavations of Early Dynastic tombs.



The mastaba M12 of the 1st dynasty. May 2007 (photo, Y. Tristant).
The mastaba M12 of the 1st dynasty. May 2007 (photo, Y. Tristant).
The mastaba M12 of the 1st dynasty and its entrance (right) (photo. Y. Tristant).
The mastaba M12 of the 1st dynasty and its entrance (right) (photo. Y. Tristant).

Link

Funerary complex of the Pharaoh Radjedef (Michel Valloggia)

Collaborators: Sylvie Marchand (ceramologist, IFAO), José Bernal (univ. de Lausanne), A. Moser, E. Soutter (Archeodunum S.A.).

Institutions partenaires:

Campaign dates: excavations ended in 2007.

For almost 50 years, the study of the funeral complexes of Old Kingdom monarchs has been constantly enriched by new discoveries and the resumption of archaeological investigations on previously explored concessions. Oddly enough, the site of Abu Rawash, some 25 km north-west of Cairo, has avoided systematic exploration since the brief work of Chassinat in 1900-1901. This neglect is all the more surprising in that the site contains all the constituent elements of the great royal tombs of the 4th dynasty: an entrance temple, an ascending causeway and a protective wall built around the monumental layout.

The size of this undertaken has seen the Egyptology Department of Geneva University join forces with the IFAO in order to resume excavations on a concession that was previously the initial source of an important line of historical investigation. This mission was financed thanks to the support of the Swiss National Science Foundation.

A round-up of 13 excavation campaigns

View looking up the descending passage of Radjedef's pyramid.
View looking up the descending passage of Radjedef's pyramid.

The investigations conducted on the site were aimed at re-evaluating the reign of Radjedef. While historical evidence in the past has led to some uncertain theories, one can state today that the work undertaken in situ calls for a review of the file on this “unfinished” pyramid of the 4th dynasty. The demolition of this monument and its use as a quarry was more intense that initially supposed. In addition, if one considers that the remains left after destruction are evidence of a once active site, then it would be sensible to examine some of the construction processes that were employed in the initial creation. At Abu Rawash, the likelihood of this being a completed royal pyramid has thus led to research into the other components that would have made up this royal funerary complex.

Similar in dimensions to the pyramid of Menkaure at Giza, “Radjedef's Firmament” measured around 106 m along the side and stood 67 m high. The creation of a longitudinal cut has revealed the size of the internal core. The mass of the inselberg represented 44% of the superstructure. The actual rock only preserves the volume of the pyramid core and the symbolic memory of the Heliopolitan mound from which the sun rose on the morning of the first day.

Within its interior layout, the pyramid has preserved the T form, including a descending passage and a central shaft designed to hold the royal vault. Such structures were completely obstructed by piles of blocks and rubble, but have been gradually cleared thanks to the use of mobile cranes.

In the centre of the pyramid the shaft holds only a few traces of the sepulchral chamber. This substructure, access to which was gained by the descending passage, was systematically demolished in the Roman era during quarrying of the site.

Two boundary walls pierced by nine monumental entrances stood around the pyramid. In addition, five interdependent structures were connected to the funerary temple. Leading from the eastern entrance, two rows of houses and a line of shops surrounded a courtyard. To the south-west, a pathway opened upon a building that held a boat-shaped cavity in its basement. It has been remarked that the craft that was once held here must have resembled that of Kheops, which was discovered in 1954 and is presently exhibited at Giza. To the west, an entrance opened onto a paved courtyard with porticoes that led to a hypostyle hall and chapels where there were once statues of the royal family. The chapel dedicated to the royal cult stood to the south of this space.

View of the funerary temple to the east of the Radjedef's pyramid showing restorations.
View of the funerary temple to the east of the Radjedef's pyramid showing restorations.

Another, smaller satellite pyramid was built within the boundary walls. The sides were only 10.5 m long and it was built by the south-east corner of the king’s pyramid. It was re-used for the burial of a queen, probably a daughter of Kheops and wife of Radjedef. The infrastructure of the tomb was looted in antiquity (most likely in the Roman period, according to the ceramics discovered), nevertheless, some of the funerary material had remained in situ. Next to a fine limestone female sarcophagus and calcite canopic jars, several elements of funeral accoutrements were discovered. Among these were calcite fragments of a large vase that has now been restored. This cup, with rounded bottom and curled rim, bears on its inside a line of precisely incised hieroglyphs with the name of Horus Medjedu, followed by the cartouche of Khufu (Kheops).

The edifice itself would seem to represent a project conceived as a religious pyramid that was later transformed into a queen’s tomb.

Computer generated reconstruction of the funerary complex of Radjedef.
Computer generated reconstruction of the funerary complex of Radjedef.

In 2007, a final campaign on site led to, on the one hand, the completion of investigations into relocating the eastern exterior wall of the funerary complex and, on the other, finishing the partial reconstruction of the housing located within the eastern sector of the cult site. The mission also had to complete all the architectural drawings and surveys that would be essential for the eventual publication of this project.

At the end of this series of campaigns, a historical re-evaluation would suggest that the reign of Kheops’ eldest son, previously considered to be short, lasted at least 22 to 23 years. This longevity not only allowed the king to complete the funerary complex of his predecessor at Giza, but also gave him the time to finish building his own pyramid at Abu Rawash. The work of this mission has thus contributed to a revision of the history of this distant era by adding a hitherto unappreciated archaeological chapter. The site is located in a region that is presently threatened by urban expansion and limestone quarries, and yet it is part of the prestigious ancient royal necropolis of Memphis and as such deserves to be protected and preserved.

La nécropole privée “F” de la IVe dynastie (Michel Baud)

Collaborations: Yann Ardagna (anthropologist, UMR 6578, Faculty of Medicine, Marseille); Olivier Cabon (photography and multimedia, ThotM, Paris); Alain Charron (specialist in mummified animals, musée de l’Arles et de la Provence antiques); Eric Guerrier (architect, Marseille); Salima Ikram (zooarchaeologist, ARCE); Sylvie Marchand (ceramologist, IFAO); Nadine Moeller (ceramologist, University of Chicago); Aurélie Schenk (rchaeologist, Lausanne);

Partner Institutions:

Campaign dates: No excavations at present.

Cemetery “F” of Abu Rawash is the most northerly group of tombs of the Old Kingdom Memphite funerary zone. This ensemble of some 40 mastabas set upon an elevation of 6 hectares that sits above the valley has for long been considered a provincial cemetery of the 6th dynasty associated with the 2nd nome of Lower Egypt and its regional capital at Letopolis. The present project, which began in 2001 and which is finishing its archaeological dimension, has demonstrated to the contrary that this is a cemetery of the social elite connected to Radjedef, whose pyramid sits 1.5 km further west. The majority of mastabas that have been dated go back to the 4th dynasty, while the presence of royal sons, of which at least two are related to Radjedef, prove that the elite of this reign were buried here and not at Giza. Following the characteristic layout of the period, the necropolis is divided into organised groups of tombs (here north and south), each one dominated by one or more mastabas of great size.

History of the excavations

Mastaba F37 seen from the south-west (photo, Olivier Cabon).
Mastaba F37 seen from the south-west (photo, Olivier Cabon).

It was Emile Chassinat who, parallel with the work on the complex of Radjedef, began the excavation of this site in 1901. This was limited to the emptying of certain shafts in the south-west sector of the site (nos. F47 & F48) and the work was never published. In 1913, Pierre Montet opened some trenches in the northern group (F13 & F19), before moving on to neighbouring tombs of the 1st dynasty. It was this same northern group that was investigated systematically by Fernand Bisson de la Roque between 1922 and 1924 (tombs F1 to F21), and the results were this time published, if briefly, in the FIFAO. Charles Kuentz cleared some mastabas of the southern group in 1931 (F37 to F39). Of this, nothing was published, though the IFAO hold the archives.

The L-shaped chapel of F48 being cleared (photo, M. Baud).
The L-shaped chapel of F48 being cleared (photo, M. Baud).

The work of the present mission has been to establish an initial archaeological map of the site, to draw up an inventory of the tombs and to study five of them in detail (F37, F38, F40, F48 & M9). The five have been chosen for reasons of their difference in location, dimensions (from 14 to 50 m long) and material (bricks or stone; size of the blocks). All of them date from the 4th dynasty, except for the second extension of F38. They present a structure of two or three retaining walls (or accretions), complete with limestone facing, and chapels of reduced dimension, often L-shaped, contrasting to the size of the compact masonry. The most remarkable mastaba by its dimensions (50 m long) and its slabbed internal structure that extends the framing courses is F37, and it stands above the southern ensemble. It belonged to a royal son whose name is lost (Kuentz’ archives). Set within the most westerly row of this group, F48 has given us the decorated, though largely destroyed chapel of a “director of a phyle”, that is, a supervisor of the royal cult. This mastaba, the highest standing of the necropolis, experienced a second use towards the 4th century BC when its southern shaft came to hold hundreds of mummified animals, mostly shrews, that must have been connected to the cult of the blind and seeing falcon of Letopolis. They were discovered as layers ejected outside the shaft, both mixed with human remains and separated from them. The number of human bodies approaches one hundred, which is a considerable number for a single shaft.

Work on the site is paralleled by an analysis of the excavation archives, in particular the maps and photographs in Kuentz’ field notebooks. A large number of decorated blocks, stone vases and ceramics from the mastabas were collected by the successive excavators and are now spread among different collections. Thanks to knowledge gained on site, the blocks can provide essential information regarding the owners of the tombs, certain of which have remained anonymous until now. Thus, the prince Hornit, known at Radjedef’s pyramid from the bases of statues of a scribes, has been attributed the great mastaba F13. This was excavated by Bisson, though the publication was limited to some of the inscriptions, including a biographical text.

Future perspectives

This royal cemetery provides an opportunity to study the evolution of architecture and decoration of elite tombs during the reign of Radjedef, a period that until now has not been well documented, given that it is caught between the two giants, Kheops and Khefren. The dating criteria gathered from the site, taking into account the entire archaeological context (from ceramics to decoration), have allowed us to make progress in the sometimes stormy debates that surround the dating of numerous tombs of the Old Kingdom, at Giza in particular where so many mastabas have been wrongly assigned to the 6th dynasty. The analyses undertaken on the architecture of the tombs have in addition provided new data concerning their structural principles (formwork, subdivision, stratification) and this ought to be compared with other cemeteries in which such studies are almost entirely lacking.

Bibliography

Early excavations

  • F. Bisson de la Roque, Rapport sur les fouilles d’Abou-Roasch, 1922-1923, FIFAO 1, 1924.
  • F. Bisson de la Roque, Rapport sur les fouilles d’Abou-Roasch, 1924, FIFAO 2, 1925.
  • É. Chassinat, «Note sur les fouilles d’Abou Roash (1900-1901)», Comptes rendus de l’Académie des Inscriptions et Belles-lettres 1901, p. 616-619.
  • G.R. Joubé, «Catalogue de l’outillage lithique provenant des tombes d’Abou-Roach», Kêmi 7, 1938, p. 71-113.

Early Dynastic cemetery “M”

  • M. Baud, «La nécropole d’élite de la Ière dynastie à Abou Rawach: essai cartographique», Archéo-Nil 15, 2005, p. 11-16.
  • Z. Hawass, «Archaic Graves Recently Founded at North Abu Roash», MDAIK 36, 1980, p. 229-244.
  • A. Klasens, «The Excavations of the Leiden Museum of Antiquities at Abu-Roash...», Oudheidkundige Mededelingen vit het Rijksmuseum van Oudheden 38, 1957, p. 58-68; 39, 1958, p. 20-31 ; 39, 1958, p. 32-55.
  • P. Montet, «Tombeaux de la Ire et de la IVe dynasties à Abou-Roach», Kêmi 7, 1938, p. 11-69.
  • P. Montet, «Tombeaux de la Ière et de la IVe dynasties à Abou-Roach, deuxième partie: inventaire des objets», Kêmi 8, 1946, p. 157-227.
  • Y. Tristant, «Un cimetière d’élites de la 1ére dynastie à Abou Rawach», Égypte Afrique & Orient 50, 2008, p. 3-12.
  • Y. Tristant, «Deux grands tombeaux du cimetière M d’Abou Rawach (Ierdynastie)», Archéo-Nil 18, 2008, p. 131-147.
  • Y. Tristant, «Les tombes des premières dynasties à Abou Rawach», BIFAO 108, 2008, p. 325-370.
  • Y. Tristant, «Abou Roach», dans L. Pantalacci, S. Denoix (éd.), «Travaux de l’Institut français d’archéologie orientale 2007-2008», BIFAO 108 (2008), p. 13.
  • Y. Tristant, «Ouadi Araba. Nécropole privée, cimetière «M» (Ire dynastie)», in L. Pantalacci, S. Denoix (éd.), «Travaux de l’Institut français d’archéologie orientale 2008-2009», BIFAO 109 (2009), p. 537-541.
  • Y. Tristant, «Les cimetières d’Abou Roach», in B. Midant-Reynes, S. Denoix (éd.), «Travaux de l’Institut français d’archéologie orientale 2009-2010», BIFAO 110 (2010), p. 335-339.
  • Y. Tristant, «Abou Rawach. La nécropole de la Ie dynastie», Archéologia 481, 2010, p. 32-37.
  • Y. Tristant, J. Smythe, «New Excavations for an Old Cemetery. Preliminary Results of the Abu Rawash Project on the M Cemetery (1st Dynasty)», in R.F. Friedman, P.N. Fiske (ed.), Egypt at its Origins 3. Proceedings of the International Conference "Origin of the State. Predynastic and Early Dynastic Egypt", London, 27th July-1st August 2008, Orientalia Lovaniensia Analecta (Leuven, 2011), 313-322.
  • Tristant, Y., «La région memphite à l’aube de l’époque pharaonique: Abou Rawash», in B. Midant-Reynes, S. Denoix (éd.), Rapport d’activité de l’IFAO 2011-2012, BIFAO 112 (2012) p. 37-46.

Funerary complex of Djedefre

Aside from the reports featured in the "Travaux de l'IFAO" section of the BIFAO (see here), preliminary accounts of each campaign have been published in the review Genava, vols. 43 to 55 (1995-2007), of the Musée d'Art et d'Histoire de la ville de Genève, in Geneva.

  • M. Valloggia, «Les choix architecturaux de la pyramide de Radjedef à Abu Rawash», in Chr. Ziegler (éd.), L’art de l’Ancien Empire égyptien. Actes du colloque organisé au musée du Louvre les 3 et 4 avril 1998, Paris, 1999, p. 13-33.
  • — —, «Le complexe funéraire de Rêdjédef à Abou Rawash: état des travaux après dix campagnes (1995-2004)», Bulletin de la Société française d’égyptologie 161, 2004, p. 12-27.
  • — —, «Le complexe funéraire de Rêdjedef à Abou Rawash: Bilan et perspectives au terme de dix saisons», in Actes du IXe congrès des égyptologues, Grenoble, 6-12 septembre 2004, OLA 150, Louvain, 2007, p. 1861-1868.
  • — —, Abou Rawash I. Le complexe funéraire royal de Rêdjedef (texte + planches), FIFAO 63, 2011.

Necropolis “F” (4th dynasty)

  • M. Baud et al., «Le cimetière F d’Abou Roach, nécropole royale de Rêdjedef (IVe dynastie)», BIFAO 103, 2003, p. 17-71.
  • M. Baud, «Un décor de tombeau remis en contexte: le “scribe au travail” du Louvre (E 14 321) et le mastaba M IX d’Abou Roach», RdE 58, 2007, p. 145-171.
  • M. Baud & N. Moeller, «A Fourth Dynasty Royal Necropolis at Abu Rawash», Egyptian Archaeology 28, 2006, p. 16-18.