Abonnez-vous à la … Subscribe to the Mailing list :
Du dimanche 27 novembre 2022 au mercredi 30 novembre 2022 à 9h00 (heure du Caire), IFAO
Living in the house:
Researching the domestic life in ancient Egypt and Sudan
Partenaire(s) de l’Ifao : PCMA
Langue : anglais.
Call for Papers, Deadline for abstract submission 5 June 2022
The Institut Français d'Archéologie Orientale and the Polish Centre of Mediterranean Archaeology, University of Warsaw, Research Center in Cairo are organising an international conference on settlement archaeology in its multi- and interdisciplinary aspects in ancient Egypt and Sudan with the title “Living in the house: researching the domestic life in ancient Egypt and Sudan”.
The conference will tackle research in settlement archaeology in Egypt and Sudan with a focus on the development of domestic architecture, the use of domestic spaces, the wide spectrums of domestic material culture and the patterns of change and continuity in settlement life through ethno-archaeological approaches. This conference aims to bring together researchers who are currently working on research themes related to the domestic life of ancient communities in ancient Egypt and Sudan, in order to share and discuss the latest developments in this field of research and communicate it to a wider scholarly audience.
Presented papers will not only cover a wide geographical and temporal range, but are expected to be interdisciplinary, highlighting the diverse methodologies and datasets that can be used to study the domestic life of ancient and historic communities in ancient Egypt and Sudan. By including both ancient Egypt and Sudan together, the meeting will allow scholars to reflect on (dis)similarities on continuities and traditions between these neighbouring countries.
We invite papers in English tackling one (or more) of the following themes:
- Recent research on domestic architecture, building techniques and building materials in Egypt and Sudan through history
- Material culture in the domestic sphere in Egypt and Sudan through history
- The artistic or textual representations (drawings, models, texts) of house and household in ancient Egypt and Sudan
- Identification of the use of space in the domestic sphere in Egypt and Sudan through history
- Climate factors shaping life at ancient settlements in Egypt and Sudan
- Ethno-archaeology and the study of lifestyles and material culture at ancient settlements in Egypt and Sudan
Guidelines for abstract submission
Abstracts of 200–250 words should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 5th, 2022. Please include your name, affiliation and email with the abstract in a single word document. Kindly note that the conference language is English.
The conference proceedings will be published by IFAO-PCMA UW. Due to the limited timeframe for the publication, participants will be requested to submit their contributions by Feb 15th, 2023 at the latest. The guidelines for the proceedings will be announced in early December 2022.
- 5th June 2022: Deadline for abstract submission
- 1st July 2022: Notification of acceptance
- 25th October 2022: Deadline for registration
- 27th–30th November 2022: Conference in Cairo
- 15th February 2023: Deadline for final paper submission for the proceedings