Institut français
d’archéologie orientale - Le Caire

Lecture at the Coptic museum

Conférence à l’occasion de la parution des Annales Islamologiques 50

Lecture by: Julien Auber de Lapierre

How was the Coptic Museum built?

 Dimanche 10 décembre 2017 à 11h au Musée Copte du Caire

Visuel Conf Musee Copte



Under the impulse of the Comité de conservation des monuments de l’art arabe, in 1897 the architect Max Herz Bey expressed the idea of creating a museum for the Christian antiquities. With the support of Patriarch Cyril V, the site selection focused on the old patriarchal residence of Qaṣr al-Šamʿ. Marcus Simaika Pasha launched in 1908 a subscription to raise funds for the last restoration works of the building. The museum opened in 1910, but soon was considered too small and expansion works were projected. The discovery of unpublished archives on the building has allowed reconsidering not only the history of the museum but also the sense that it took in the first half of the 20th century within an identity construction scheme for the Coptic community.

The conference will be followed by a discussion with the public and refreshments will be served in the Coptic Museum.

Facebook Event

Access to Coptic Museum - لكيفية الوصول للمتحف القبطي أنقر هنا

Julien Auber de Lapierre :


Alumni of the École du Louvre, graduated of Sorbonne University, Julien Auber de Lapierre is completing a doctoral thesis dedicated to the Armenian Icons Painter active in Cairo in the 18th century, Yūḥannā al-'Ārmānī, at the École Pratique des Hautes Études.

Former Research associate at the Museum of National Archaeology in Saint-Germain-en-Laye and at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, he is now in charge of the seminar of Islamic Art at the École du Louvre. Author of the Catalogue of Wooden objects preserved in the Coptic Museum of Cairo which will be published next January by the French Institute of Oriental Archaeology (IFAO), he is also a member of the archaeological mission of Fusṭāṭ for this institution.